Vehicle Registration

Real ID Information - approved by Governor Hassan on May 10, 2016 with House Bill 1616 and becomes effective January 1, 2017. For more information about Real ID click here


With the change to requirements from the DMV, renewal notices are no longer needed to register your vehicle and the owner of the vehicle can come into the office with your photo identification and we can look up your registration information for you (up to 3 per customer).

NH Division of Motor Vehicles Bill of Sale Information

Bill of Sale template

To comply fully with the Driver Privacy Protection Act we are not permitted to give motor vehicle fees over the telephone. Please click the button below to get an estimate on-line.

Registration and Estimates Online

At the request of the State of NH - DMV, please have photo identification available for all Motor Vehicle transactions.

For additional questions regarding registrations or titles click here to be directed to the State of NH-MV site.

What do I need to renew my registration?

A previously issued NH registration or a copy of your previously issued NH registration is the fastest way. We may be able to look up your registration for you; you must have a government issued photo ID, your plate number and be a registered owner to the vehicle. Please note that looking up registrations with a photo ID is limited to three (3) per customer.

What do I need to process a new registration?

If you have purchased the vehicle from a Licensed NH Auto Dealer and the vehicle is a model year 2000 or newer, you will need a Title Application (blue); it is strongly recommended that you bring in the window sticker for your vehicle to ensure the correct MSRP is used for your transaction. If the vehicle was purchased through a private sale and is a model year 2000 or newer, you will need to bring in the title signed over to you, as well as a bill of sale. The title must be signed over to the buyer by the seller. If you plan to use plates from a previous vehicle you must bring in the original registration from the previous vehicle. For all vehicles older than a 2000 you will need a properly executed TDMV-19A or a copy of a previous NH registration as well as a properly executed Bill of Sale.

What is a proper bill of sale?

Please click here to view the requirements under RSA 261:148, III

What methods of payment do you accept?

We accept cash or checks. If you are paying by check, you will need to bring two checks.

Can someone else complete my registration for me?

Any change in residency requires you to personally appear to complete your registration.
If you cannot come in personally to complete a new registration or transfer plates, you must send written permission with the person who will be completing the registration. That person will be required to present a photo I.D. For a permission form, click here.

If you are unable to complete your renewal in person please provide them with your registration. However, we cannot make any changes to a registrants information if you do not appear in person and a registration will not be processed. Additionally, if there are any changes that appear in your DMV file that are not printed on your registration we cannot give the registration back to anyone other than the registered owner.

All persons completing any motor vehicle transaction will be asked to provide a photo I.D.

Can I get initial plates in East Kingston?

Initial plate applications must be submitted to the Department of Motor Vehicles for approval. You must begin your registration with our office before going to the DMV. We also offer Conservation & Habitat plates as well as State of NH Park plates. Please contact our office for additional information on the different plates we offer.

I lost my plates, decals or registration. What do I do?

A replacement can be issued from our office at an additional charge for the State of NH. For replacement plates or decals you will need to bring your current registration. Need the forms? Click here
Plates: $4.00 per plate
Decals: $1.00
Registration: $15.00
*There is an additional fee for the Town of East Kingston of $3.00 per transaction for replacements.*

I am a new resident to East Kingston. Do I need to bring anything to prove my residency?

You will need to provide one of the following to prove your residency:

  • Utility Bill (PSNH, Comcast, Unitil, etc.) showing service at the address you are claiming. This may be mailed to an address outside of the residence you are claiming as long as the address is for mailing purposes only and the document states the service address with active service within the last 30 days. We reserve the right to request proof of continued residency at any time.

  • Fully executed original lease agreement. This document must have original signatures of the property owner as well as the tenant and state all of the persons residing in the home. The person requesting residency must be listed as a tenant.

  • Rental receipt imprinted with the address and containing the original signature of the property owner

  • A signed residency affidavit from the property owner stating residency. This is a notarized statement. Samples are available in the City Clerk's Office for your use.

We will no longer be accepting a paystub as proof of residency effective December 1, 2012.

We are not able to accept check books, bank statements, miscellaneous mail, or any other documents other than those listed above. Thank you for your cooperation.

If you are a non-resident (property owner with a legal address outside of NH) you must provide a Non-Resident Affidavit each time you register a vehicle. Click here to download this form.

If you have any questions, please contact the Town Clerk at (603) 642-8794.