Solid Waste Removal & Recycling Committee
Solid Waste & Recycling Committee Meetings
All meetings are at 6:30 pm at the Pound School and are open to the public.
The Solid Waste & Recycling Committee was formed in the spring of 2009 to assist the Board of Selectmen in selecting a vendor for our waste and recycling products. The committee performs research on Solid Waste & Recycling and interviews prospective vendors. It will report its findings and a recommendation to the Selectmen. Waste Management was selected as our service provider for trash and recycle removal.
Membership of the continuation Committee includes the following:
Rob Caron - Member
Dan Guilmette - Vice Chair
Ron Morales, Chair
William (Bud) E. Staples - Recording Secretary
Our contract with Waste Management allows the Town to receive recycle profits in order to contain costs. While saving costs, one of the committee’s objectives is to also develop a process for waste and recycling making it easier to manage for each individual residence in East Kingston.
Single Stream (Zero Sort) Recycling:
This approach combines all common recycled materials in one tote.
Acceptable could items include:
- Cardboard: Cereal Boxes, Pasta Boxes, Shoe Boxes, Juice Boxes
- Paper: Newspapers, Junk Mail, Envelopes, Catalogs, Soft Cover Books, Telephone Books, Brown Bags, Magazines and Inserts.
- Plastic: Containers #1 - #7 (Milk Jugs, Bleach, Detergent, Shampoo Bottles) and Rigids (Laundry Baskets, Buckets)
- Glass: Bottles and Containers (any color)
- Metal: Aluminum, Tin, Steel Containers (Pie Plates/Trays/Foil)
The unacceptable items have not changed:
- Window Glass, Mirrors and Light Bulbs
- Dishes, Pyrex, Ceramics
- Foam Packaging, Styrofoam, Plastic Bags
- Recyclables containing Food Waste, Paint or Oils
- Hazardous Material or Universal Waste